Thursday, June 26, 2014

Focusing On The Ball 120.10.14;68;5o13

Love And Peace, Family And Friends.

As I watch the 2 concluding matches of the group stage of this year’s World Cup, I see 1 of the players dance around the ball, Samba-style, trying to mesmerise the pursuing defender.  And whilst it is many decades removed, I am reminded of some of the 1st lessons that my far and my coaches and my friends teach me about playing different sports.

The 1st sport that I learn is football;  the sport that is played with the foot and the ball, known by Americans as soccer.  I remember being 6 years old and my far telling me to focus on the ball.  Rather than being swayed by the upper torso or footwork, my far teaches me to concentrate on the movement of the ball and anticipate the possibilities and probabilities of where the ball may travel.  Whilst he abstains from competitively playing football in his youth (his sports are American football and basketball, growing up), my far instils within me basic guidance in athletic competition.  And whilst I am sure the development programmes for advanced football clubs instruct young talent to also focus on player movement and positioning, “focus on the ball” seems to remain sage and basic advice.  It serves me well for nearly a decade and beyond, as I am reintroduced to the sport in my 20’s with friends from around the Earth.

The 2nd sport that I play, organisationally, is American football.  During my prep school years, I succumb to the American influence.  My junior year, I join the prep school American football shape.  Woefully out of shape and overweight, I am relegated to offensive and defensive line whenever I am promoted from warming the bench.  “Focus on the ball” stays with me, even though I could barely see the ball after it is hiked, and my athletic task increasingly resembles Japanese sumo wrestling.  Knowing the sport as I do, I am aware that NFL players are also trained to read player movements and positioning as a means for preventing unfavourable plays and facilitating favourable manoeuvres.  However, there remains the relevant primary directive:  focus on the ball.

As I progress through university, and as I shed my weight and becoming physically fit, I become increasingly involved with playing pick-up basketball.  I remember playing 1 on 1 with my friend, Todd, and him sharing a pointer that his prep school coach tells him:  watch your opponent’s hips.  The idea is that watching the ball can be tedious and abstains from dictating where the player may necessarily move, particularly amidst cross-overs, behind the back dribbling, and drives towards the basket;  but the hips show where the player is moving, basically.  This significantly helps when guarding 1’s opponent, yet with additional factors like rebounding, stealing the ball, intercepting passes, and anticipating player rotation and additionally, the sage guidance remains:  focus on the ball.

1 of the characteristics that I enjoy about football, and about sport in general, is how basic lessons of sportsmanship and sportswomanship are translatable into actual life and into every profession.  I am reminded how corporations enjoy recruiting recent graduates because student athletes have experience with playing on organised teams and learn how to work with others.  And I particularly appreciate specific practices in football like kicking the ball out when a player is injured, returning the ball to the opposing team after receiving the benefit, helping each other up after a tackle, and exchanging jerseys after a hard-fought match. 

So, I consider how these lessons can translate into our work within our InterFaith Movement.  If the guidance to “focus on the ball” remains True, what is the “ball” within our interFaith work.  Is it compassion, listening, open-mindedness, patience, and/or additionally?  What is THE critical component upon which to concentrate when we carry out this work?  And what are complementary components to consider when focusing on the ball:  is it service orientation, politics, education, meditation, prayer, and/or additionally?

And if interFaith work is to be compared to sport, who is the “opponent” to our interFaith work?  Is it intolerant factions, violence, hatred, our own selfish tendencies, lapses of concentration, and/or additionally?  Who or what are the most significant detractors to our victories within our InterFaith Movement?

And taking the sport analogy further, what is the nature of teamwork in our interFaith activism?  Is it consensus-building, egalitarianism, story-telling, and/or additionally?  What pointers can you provide from your experiences and learning within our InterFaith Movement?

Love And Peace,

Peter.


No comments:

Post a Comment