Monday, June 9, 2014

Open Letter To My Fraternity Brothers Of BX Of KAΨ 120.9.8;68;3o5

Love And Peace To You, Fraternity Brothers Of BX Of KAΨ.

שלום.नमस्ते.สมาธ.Pax.سلام.Peace.साटीनाम.صلح.Kwey.Amani.Udo.Barış.ειρήνη.Pace.Paz.Paix.Fred.
Frieden.Vrede.Siochana.мир.امن.和平.平和.평화.Ingatka.Wominjeka.Aloha....

Over 7 years ago, I commit a violation of KAΨ tradition and trust.  Some may even refer to my actions as sacrilegious.  I divulge the secret of Phi Nu Pi on the internet.

I abstain from making excuses;  I am responsible for my actions.  However, I am interested in explaining further the reason why I do so.

To be brief, the main reason is because keeping the secret stifles spiritual awakening.  To explain how this is, I reference a passage within the Gospels where Jesus communicates his immediacy with his disciples:

“No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing;  but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my [God] I have made known to you.”

          (John 15:15)

Within this teaching, Jesus proclaims that he shares all his spiritual wisdom with his disciples;  there is an absence of any hidden doctrine or teaching.  I abstain from equating myself with Jesus, however, I am compelled by the wisdom of this teaching.  And as I proceed along my spiritual and religious path, I strive to have such immediacy with the students and teachers that I encounter.

It is appropriate to share that my religion and spirituality also go beyond Christianity.  I am a mystic who is based within Judaism whilst also adhering to other traditions including Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, the Baha’i, and additionally.  Knowing this, 1 may better understand why I have been so distant from KAΨ over the past 20 years.

I can provide that I remain committed to alleviating the oppression of people of African descent in the United States and throughout the African Diaspora.  Through my studies and experience after pledging and crossing into KAΨ, including studying abroad and working with people from throughout the Earth, I better understand that alleviating the oppression and suffering of people of African descent is inextricably linked to alleviating the suffering of all people of all descents (including the oppressors).  And thus, I am committed to alleviating all suffering.  I love everyone.  Indeed, over the past decade +, I become increasingly steeped within my occupational endeavours in the InterFaith Movement:  building enhanced Peace, understanding, and cooperation amongst our many respective ethnic and religious communities.

1 of the factors that convinces me to pledge KAΨ is the story of Elder and our founders.  It is the story of struggling to thrive in a hostile environment, and gathering together to overcome that hostility.  It is inspiring and compelling.  As a freshman and sophomore at Hampton, I observe a dearth of student organisations actually doing something to eradicate the systemic racism and divisiveness of American governance and society.  When I learn of the story of KAΨ and the process of pledging and serving in a fraternity, I am convinced to join.  At that point, KAΨ presents itself as a serious mission amongst other “CV-building” enterprises.  Yet, in the years proceeding my entry into KAΨ, 1 of the challenges that I experience is the assimilationist tendency of KAΨ.

1 is precluded from overcoming massa’s hold simply by following massa’s ways.  Liberation remains aloof whilst existing as a perpetual political, social, and economic minority.  What I observe since pledging KAΨ is the severe assimilationist tendencies of fraternity brothers of KAΨ, striving to establish semblances of comfort and relief within the racist and divisive system of American governance and society.  Indeed, within KAΨ there are earnest programmes, like Guide Right, that contribute back to the community.  But this does little against the systemic causes.

Instead, I advocate for a radical break from, and transformation of, convention.  I advocate for change, and this includes black nationalism.  However, black nationalism is only a fragment of my geopolitics.  Indeed I attempt to lead black nationalist efforts over a decade ago;  but the Truth remains that I am insufficiently black.  In Truth, I am mixed race, and my allegiances stem across numerous ethnic and religious communities.  Ultimately, I advocate for international diversity and pluralism on equitable terms.  But my point here is other than to proselytise, it is simply to communicate where I stand.

Experience provides that pledging KAΨ continues beyond the point of crossing into KAΨ.  It is a life-long process and commitment.  And whilst I may be frequently physically absent from the fold, I honour that process and commitment.

I think about what I previously do and the suffering that this causes.  I think of how I can do better.  I actually try to remove the post that I previously make, however, I have difficulty remembering the password to logon to the site.  During the period that I originally write the correspondence, I experience a certain rigidity that often comes with initially learning a religious path as an adult.  I abstain from having certain tact and diplomacy during that period.  And thus, the frustrations and hostility towards me are understandable.  I intend to abstain from repeating this act, yet I am precluded from making a full promise.

To my knowledge, I abstain from breaking any promise that I originally make to KAΨ.  When crossing and learning Phi Nu Pi, we are charged to abstain from verbally repeating its meaning.  And I abstain from ever doing this.  For over a decade, I am fully resilient in maintaining the confidentiality of the KAΨ secrets with which I am entrusted.  And I admit that my divulging this secret goes against the spirit, protocols, and tradition of KAΨ.  It is a violation.  Yet, I am also aware that violations against the protocols and tradition of KAΨ occur simply through bringing new fraternity brothers into the bond.

I take the bond seriously.  KAΨ does much for me in my life.  Pledging and serving within KAΨ significantly facilitates my transformation into manhood.  KAΨ teaches me how to work and love others who are drastically different from myself, and even drastically disagreeable with myself.  KAΨ helps to forge my identity.  And I owe much of my success in business school and law school to my connexion with KAΨ.  Yet through my experience since initially pledging KAΨ, I also establish a genuine and immediate bond with all beings and all life.  It is a bond that encapsulates my bond with KAΨ.  This is part of my previously described spiritual awakening.  And I continue to negotiate the contradictions and awkwardness that this duality presents.

Ultimately, I remain True to the story of Elder and our founders that originally leads me to pledge KAΨ.  I remain committed to the dream of a society where people of African descent are equally secure and prosperous.  I remain committed to the dream of a fraternal bond that facilitates this.  And I remain aware of that fact that this necessitates transcending convention and the status quo.

When we initially pledge KAΨ, we are told our priorities:  God. Family. Books.  Kappa.  When we graduate university, we may understand this prioritisation to mature:  God.  Family.  Work.  Kappa.  Well, my work is building community, and Kappa is an intrinsic part of this.

I am genuinely interested in being reconciled with my line brothers, my chapter brothers, and my fraternity brothers of KAΨ.  And as we know, this is a 2-way process.  And for those who are less inclined towards verbal communication, we are also told that trading wood is another remedy.  I am amenable to that, as well.

Yours In The Bond,

Love And Peace,

Peter

שלום.नमस्ते.สมาธ.Pax.سلام.Peace.साटीनाम.صلح.Kwey.Amani.Udo.Barış.ειρήνη.Pace.Paz.Paix.Fred.
Frieden.Vrede.Siochana.мир.امن.和平.平和.평화.Ingatka.Wominjeka.Aloha....
ૐ.אמן
Shalom(Hebrew).Namaste(Sanskrit).Samadhi(Thai/Pali).Pax(Latin).Salaam(Arabic).Peace(English).
SatNam(Punjabi).Solh(Persian).Kwey(Algonquin).Amani(Swahili).Udo(Ibo).Barish(Turkish).Erieni(Greek).Pache(Italiano).Paz(Espanol).Paix(Francais).
Fred(Scandinavian).Frieden(Deutsch).Siochana(Irish).Mir(Russian).Amin(Urdu).Heping(Mandarin).Heiwa(Japanese).Pyeonghwa(Korean).
Ingatka(Tagolog).Wominjeka(Wurundjeri).Aloha(Hawai’ian).Peace(Common Symbol).Peace(Common Sign).Peace(American Sign).Peace(American Braille).

Om. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment