Wednesday, June 25, 2014

To My Wife 5

She knows about
Mos Def and Black Star.
The Politics of Dead Prez
resonate with her.
She’s learning about
the Coup,
although she knows well
that it is in the Bay Area,
for many years.
She celebrates
The Sound Of Music,
and relaxes
with the Classical,
and Jazz.
For Miles, the Trane Chopin towards Beethoven.
She’s herbal,
familiarising herself
with teas, beans, plants,
and remedies.
She’s quiet, pensive.
She learns to listen,
And resolve conflicts
Before these even emerge.
Inter-traditional diplomacy
is her 1st nature
yet many have yet to
see it,
becoming lost within
the beauty of her eyes.
She smiles.
And when she laughs,
Joy erupts within others.

I can hear it.
I ask our children
how I do,
as I praise God,
and write of her.

I study and transcribe
the Tao Te Ching
to learn Mandarin.
I practise Español
con amigos
por haberla.
Pero, ahora,
Yo hablo
como un niño.
Et mis amigos souriren
I sing Felicidades,
As I make my way
Towards Rio De Janeiro e São Paulo.
I learn Arabic script
from the Koran;
and the Bhagavad Gita
teaches me Sanskrit.

Of course,
I visit the Omniglot
And Google Translate.
I regularly play
bootleg Putumayo downloads
on any audio
I can find.

Can I put her up
on the Himalayan Project
or Hiding, “Xi Beijing”?
Does she also
see every episode
of UK Skins,
or The Wire.
Is she also concerned
that the fullest representation
of our communities
seems to be
on “Community.”
I think how to
get her over
“Anyone Else But Me.”

Does she know
she is a Hapa?
Does she know
About Mavin?
Is she involved
with Mesticao,
and is she interested
in Critical Mixed Race Studies?
What does she know
about our Cuyahoga area?

Can her cosmopolitan intellect
find excitement
and solace
as we tighten
and transform
this rustbelt?

Is her homecooking vegan;
with maybe a little
milk, butter, and cheese?
Can she roll sushi
as well as
I previously roll
a joint.
Does she ever mix
Soy, olives, curry, and plaintains
like I make
Asian Favela Pancakes,
cheesy rice, and sweet potatoes.


There is a, “Yes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment